Tulip Chain History
Tulip Chain 5.91
- Choice of Dmoz port number (80, 8080, 443).
- Downloading profile happens in a new thread (doesn't freeze the GUI).
- "Update categories" menu item to get new editor permissions.
Tulip Chain 5.9
- Dmoz editing urls have new 8080 port number.
Tulip Chain 5.8
- One edit action per category possible at any given time. (Slows down autocorrect and deletion actions to prevent race conditions on the server that could cause corruption.)
- TulipChain can can be remotely disabled (on an update check) if a data corruption or other severe problem is found with a specific version.
Tulip Chain 5.7
- URLs, titles, and descriptions, which have escaped html entities such as & in them
are unescaped so that & doesn't become & with autocorrect.
- World characters are now displayed in the tree on the left.
- Data sent back to dmoz with corrections is sent in UTF-8.
- Reports are written in UTF-8 to allow languages other than the system default.
- Java 1.4 is required.
Tulip Chain 5.6
- Italtian translation.
- Redirects to pages.ebay.com are errors.
Tulip Chain 5.5
- Confirmation dialog before autocorrect on reports.
Tulip Chain 5.4
- Angelfire 404s caught.
- Confirmation dialog before autocorrect.
- Framed redirects from flash.to caught.
Tulip Chain 5.3
- Spell check now uses the default language for the category as determined by the spell checker.
- Some categories with alphabars now show categories other than letter categories.
- Pop-up menus no longer pop up off the screen.
Tulip Chain 5.2
- Case insensitive sorting.
- Spell checker links.
Tulip Chain 5.1
- Will return to unreviewed categories on startup.
- Blank URL of "http://" always marked as an error.
- Sites that you have selected are no longer unselected by checking or autocorrect.
- Deleting sites from unreviewed asks for a note properly and works correctly.
- URLs with a dash in the domain name will open in browser.
- Sorting by status will put warnings that are not auto-correctable at the end of the warnings.
- Check so that a category load cannot be initiated twice before the category is loaded.
- New redirect promotion and demotion strings.
- Redirect promotion and demotion strings are on multiple lines in the options.
- Requests to the DMOZ servers are made more slowly to prevent overload.
- Requests other sites may be made more quickly.
- Category under right click will get highlighted.
Tulip Chain 5.0
- Ability to limit reports to have only listed or only unreviewed sites.
- Statistics about listed sites and unreviewed on reports.
- Autocorrect available from right-click menu on sites.
- Sites may be sorted by clicking on the headings at the top of the columns.
(Click twice on the URL column to sort by status.)
Tulip Chain 4.94
- Fixed bug in which labeled sites that returned unknown status incorrectly.
- Added 508 error that Geocities uses for sites that have exceeded their bandwith quota.
Tulip Chain 4.93
- Can better identify deeplink redirects.
- Detects tripod and netzero 404s better.
- Download of any page limited to around 1/4 MB.
- Meta redirects that have been commented out in HTML are no longer reported.
- Meta redirects that occur after a certain time (default 30 seconds) are not reported.
Tulip Chain 4.92
- Fixed bug that showed 404 errors as "Connection Error".
- Added detection of framed redirects.
Tulip Chain 4.91
- Added French translations.
- Updated Danish translations.
Tulip Chain 4.9
- Autocorrect now working for all browsers.
- By default, redirects to deep links are no longer reported.
Tulip Chain 4.8
- Autocorrect reports disabled for browsers that do not correctly handle escaped symbols.
Tulip Chain 4.7
- Sites with quotes, greater than, or less than symbols in the title, description, or URL are now properly escaped on the report's autocorrect button and should not be corrupted in DMOZ when using autocorrect.
- Sites with greater than or less than symbols in the title or description are now escaped and appear properly on the reports.
- Warning about the damage auto-correct can cause added to the top of all reports that have auto-correct.
Tulip Chain 4.6
- TulipChain icon on the application.
- Colon separated categories are now accepted in the category bar.
- Updated bugs and features discussion link.
Tulip Chain 4.5
- Sites read in categories which have alt-lang links but no subcategories.
- The category bar behaves much better, it accepts DMOZ URLs and trailing white space.
- K&T age tags are now looked at and auto-correct on the reports will no longer remove them.
- Once a category is refreshed, it may be respidered.
Tulip Chain 4.4
- Mac OS X Browser opening support.
- Proxy setting actually work.
Tulip Chain 4.3
- Test/Robozilla/Reds Sorter
- Password Dialog box shows up again.
Tulip Chain 4.2
- Split pane position remembered and restored correctly.
- More pieces translatable.
- Ability to set the locale in the ini file.
- German translation.
- Danish translation.
Tulip Chain 4.1
- Choose report file from a recorded history list.
- Internationalization support. Translatable strings in one file.
- New version alert: Can check for software updates on startup.
Tulip Chain 4.0
- Recursive redirects are caught and reported.
- Meta redirects that refresh the page are allowed but noted.
- Categories with no problems can be suppressed on reports.
- Deletion from unreviewed available through the TulipChain interface.
- Some versions of Java don't like null tooltips and crash when encountered. Null tooltips no longer used.
Tulip Chain 3.93
- Option for ignoring redirects to a deeplink.
- Redirect URL substrings reported as errors configurable in options menu.
- Redirect URL substrings reported as ok added (and configurable in options menu).
Tulip Chain 3.92
- Proxy settings.
- "Auto Correct" button available for reports.
Tulip Chain 3.91
- Recursive redirect checking. (Reports on status of the URL to which a site is redirected.)
- Reports redirects as errors when keywords such as "404" or "error" appear in the redirect URL.
- file: URLs are always reported as errors.
- https: and ftp: URLs are reported as unchecked.
Tulip Chain 3.9
- DMOZ closed the Test/ category to the public, password now used in that area.
Tulip Chain 3.8
- Option to have links on report open in a new browser window.
- Option to list sites in reports in numbered lists.
- Edit links on reports correctly URLEncode the site URL so DMOZ won't get confused.
Tulip Chain 3.7
- HTML character entities such as & are displayed properly in titles and descriptions.
- Cats with subcat sort priority and all world cats no longer show related cats and other language cats as subcats.
- Character encoding warning for unreviewed reported correctly on stdout.
- Users can choose where they want their reports saved.
Tulip Chain 3.6
- Sites in categories with see also links show up again.
Tulip Chain 3.5
- Spiffy multiline descriptions reverted as they still caused crashes.
- Month bars now handled correctly.
- Primitive media date support (dates reliably ignored)
- Report generation works on categories with no subcats.
- Report generation is available even if a cat has not been spidered, in this case it will not report on subcats.
Tulip Chain 3.4
- The table rows' heights are dynamic making the entire site description visible.
- The number of queued sites is always displayed while spidering.
- Check boxes on report generation options labeled correctly.
- Added critical sections to prevent crashes caused by fighting threads.
Tulip Chain 3.3
- Reports more configurable, you decide what gets included.
- Cats menu doesn't show top level categories.
- Numerous other minor bug fixes.
Tulip Chain 3.2
- Maximum number of threads is configurable.
- Unclosed link at bottom of reports fixed.
Tulip Chain 3.1
- Reports will open on Windows 2000 systems.
- Site totals reported at the bottom of report pages.
- Incorrectly reported referral URL problem fixed.
- Reports from wordwide categories no longer have %xx escaped characters in cat names.
Tulip Chain 3.0
- Recursive site checking once category is spidered.
- Report generation once category is spidered and checked.
Tulip Chain 2.9
- Stop button works with spidering.
- A TulipChain specific browser string is reported when opening HTTP connections.
- The DMOZ category that a site is in is reported as the referring URL.
Tulip Chain 2.8
- Finds and reports meta redirects.
Tulip Chain 2.7
- Recursive spidering option to load all sites in a cat and all sub cats.
- There is a stop button. (It mostly works, but not with spidering, and may cause tulip chain to dump core occasionally.)
- More colors for different levels of errors.
- Better reporting for sites that give an unknown status.
- A link to the license in the help menu.
Tulip Chain 2.6
- Category refresh now works consistently.
- The code for opening the web browser works a bit better, although it still doesn't work on Mac OS X.
Tulip Chain 2.5
- The command line used to open your web browser is now configurable.
Tulip Chain 2.4
- A help menu added that has an about box with the version number, a link to the web site, and a link to the forum.
Tulip Chain 2.3
- Select more than one site then right click on them to perform an action on all of them.
- Profiles of editors that are not using English are loaded correctly.
Tulip Chain 2.2
- Partial editor features are available if you enter an editor name but no password.
Tulip Chain 2.1
- Unreviewed with Robozilla errors and Updates now load properly.
Tulip Chain 2.0
- Unreviewed sites are listed!
- Menus are context sensitive.
Tulip Chain 1.6
- Category selection properly recorded and passed to the browser for editing.
- Tree scrolls to open cat when selecting from bookmarks and category bar.
- Refresh item added to pop-up menu on tree.
Tulip Chain 1.5
- Editor Login Enabled
- Editor's categories appear in a menu.
- Other menus added as well.
- Thread manager controls category selection.
- Browser opens more reliably in Linux.
Tulip Chain 1.4
- URL bar that shows current cat and where new cats can be typed was added.
- Information on window and component sizes stored between executions and restored on startup.
- Window no longer erratically changes size when a new category is selected.
Tulip Chain 1.3
- Double clicking on a listing opens the URL in your browser.
- The width of the tree is adjustable leaving more room to see listings.
- Editing links available by right clicking on an entry.
Tulip Chain 1.2
- The Bookmarks category now displays with the correct name.
- Once a category is loaded it is immediately displayed in the table
- "Become and editor" link works.
Tulip Chain 1.1
- Fixed bug that grayed out screen when double clicking a category folder.
- Download threads limited to 20 which should prevent crashes.
- Category download multithreaded. Now the GUI will not freeze when you select a new category.
Tulip Chain 1.0
- Browsing functionality.
- Dmozulator functionality.
Written in Java by Stephen Ostermiller
Copyright (C) 2001-2002 Stephen Ostermiller